In the early years of a baby’s life, care is essential to its proper development. One of the events that determine good growth is the appearance of teeth, at this stage is when the mother begins to introduce solid foods into the child’s diet. This with the aim that the body of the child absorbs, from other foods, the nutrients needed for growth. It is recommended that, in this facet, parents go to a dentist in Tijuana to monitor the appearance of teeth, and advise parents in the oral care of the child.
It is at approximately six months of age when family members have to introduce foods with a more solid texture into the diet. One of the most common mistakes is that parents, before they reach the right age, include this type of food in their diet, which, in the long term, can cause obesity, diabetes or allergies in the baby. Before the six months, it is necessary to feed exclusively of maternal milk and it contributes, for the moment, the nutrients needed for its growth.
To know if the baby is ready for new foods, it is necessary that the parents make constant observations of the little one, mainly in those moments in which food is offered to him. Some key signs are:
- If the child can already sit naturally without help.
- If the parents offer food and reject it.
- If, in spite of having fed him, he still asks for food.
- If the baby already can digest the purees instead of spitting them out.
Parents should consider feeding the baby only packaged foods because they will cause the child to become accustomed to that type of feeding. You should supply with natural or homemade elements to be advised that the products are fresh and of the best quality. Fruits, vegetables, grains, and other elements will allow the child’s taste buds to develop and will be inducing a healthy diet.
One of the porridge that you can start to introduce in the baby’s diet is the peas.
- For the elaboration of this food two cups of peas or 300g are needed.
- Boil the vegetables in a container with water. It is important that the peas are placed in a bowl or chestnut so that they can be steamed. It should be about 5 to 7 minutes if the product is frozen, if fresh an estimated three minutes. Once cooked and soft to the touch, it is necessary to challenge them from the pot to be rinsed with cold water.
- Grind the peas until a pureed texture is obtained. You can add water with which the peas were cooked or milk in formula or maternal. It is necessary to get a surface sufficiently adequate so that the baby can digest it.
If storage is desired, it is essential to store the food in a covered container, in the refrigerator can last about three days.
It should be remembered that the introduction to solid foods is progressive, in a slow process in which the baby will build his tastes and abilities to process the food.